Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Encouraging Words


I have been waiting all day to make this post.

I was at church today, cleaning up after our MOM group, and of course, made my 10th stop to talk.
I was talking to Tricia, my Pastor's wife. I can't remember what started our conversation but I will probably never forget what was said next. I was just overwhelmed with encouragement after our talk that I knew I just had to blog about it and share it with others.

This is what Tricia had to say:

Ian and Calvin have Bible time in the morning, so after Cal finished listening to the Bible I mentioned that he should spend some time praying.

Cal: What should I pray about?


Me: Anything you want...


A few minutes later he had finished, so I asked him what he had prayed about.


Cal: I thanked God for Geneva and that she wasn't dead.


Me: Oh (trying not to sound too unusual), what makes you think about that? Is there someone that you are thinking about that died?


Cal: (Very serious and sweet) Aimee had a baby and she died. I think that would make her sad.


Me: Yes, I think so. Should we pray that God would comfort her and make her happy?


Cal: Yes (like that would be ok, but what he really wanted to pray for was...) and that she would have another baby.


Me: Ok, we could probably pray for that too.


And we did, and knowing Calvin he will continue to do so until the Lord answers.








Now, let me just say that this sweet child is 4 and when I realized all that his little mind comprehended I was just overwhelmed with joy.
I just love how today I was blessed by simple thoughts from a little boy who was talking to our GREAT GOD!
A God that can answer any prayer from anyone no matter what age.
A God that knows the hearts of all of us and knows when we are asking out of want, need, love or selfish desires.
Some days I pray this same thing but am confused about my true motives.

Reading the story might not sound like much but when I was told the story today I was just in shock that he thought of me and my little girl without any prompting.
I am amazed at how God is using Lilliana in so many ways.
Today, He was using her to show a small boy about compassion and concern for others.
Today, God was showing me that all it takes is child - like faith!
It doesn't have to be big ways, just areas that bring us closer to our ALL -KNOWING, LOVING, GRACIOUS GOD.

Another thing I wanted to add.
Sunday, before Ryan was finished speaking, He opened up the front to those who wanted to share about specific people in our church who have been an encouragement to them.
 Immediately, I thought of so many but, knew I would stand up and do nothing but cry as I looked out into the eyes of TRUE FAMILY!
I wanted to say how I was just so thankful for those who were right by my side as soon as I came out of the recovery room. Those were who at our aid for weeks and showed us love and compassion by bringing us meals and watching our children, cleaning my house and just coming by to see if I was ok. Those who helped us out enough so that Roger could stay home with us everyday this summer and take care of me, Luke and Olivia. Those who still come up to me and are bold enough to ask me how I am doing. NO. How I am REALLY doing. And If I answer quickly they stare me down until I look at them and try to give them an honest answer.

And today, I am so blessed by Calvin who cares enough to pray for me and ask that I would be comforted.
Only by God's Grace can these blessing be given to me and to that, all the GLORY be given to God!

"Thanks Calvin for praying for me! Keep it up! I am going to need it!"

10 comments:

Val8200 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Val8200 said...

What a wonderful child and such an encouragement to adults!

Jason said...

Out of the mouth of babes...what a sweet story! I am in tears and am so thankful for compassionate little boys and girls at our church! Praying daily for you my friend!
~Heather

Karie said...

How touching. Isn't it amazing what little ones can see/say that adults just can't. We are praying hard for you guys Aimee.

Ang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ang said...

thanks for posting this aim. in certain ways, it was encouraging to me too...

Devin said...

How sweet. Love his sweet, tender spirit...

Leanne said...

I'm holding back tears...

I'm encouraged too by this little boy's unquestioning faith!

It's a prompting for us to strive to have that kind of unhindered, untainted faith.

Aim, I want you to know you'll always be in my prayers.

And I do hope that God brings you another little angel as soon as He wants to. He knows your heart.

Love you.

Amy said...

I think that's the sweetest thing ever. I'm so grateful you got some much needed encouragement. Love you!

R said...

What wonderful encouragement!! I wish sometimes adults would share as freely and see things through the eyes and hearts of children more!